Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Aunt Joan's Ganache


My Aunt Joan gave me a recipe for ganache when I was newly married and I had no clue what it was but I love anything chocolate and this recipe quickly became one of my favourites.

Ganache is really versatile.  Here are a few of my favourite past uses for it...
 {back when I had a cake business}


Dripping down the sides of a cake...


Dripping and piped along the bottom.



More drips, and piping, and lettering!


I know you already saw the dripping effect but this was is too cute not to safe, right?


I used ganache to create a muddy track for this dirt biker:)


Layered in an ice cream cookie cake.


I think you get the idea.  
Here's the recipe...

AUNT JOAN'S GANACHE

Ingredients:

-1 bag of chocolate chips (about 2 cups) OR 2 cups of chopped chocolate...use what ya got:)
-1 cup heavy cream (I use unpasturized Jerseyland cream)


Steps:

-Place the chocolate in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
-In a small saucepan ( I use a double boiler just to be safe cause burnt milk is not a good scene), bring the cream to a boil.
-Pour the cream over the chocolate, let it sit for 2 or 3 minutes, then blend until smooth and shiny.  ( I usually use a whisk but an electric mixer is a good idea, I'm just lazy:)
-let cool slightly before using.

**if you are wanting the dripping look, you do want the ganache to be relatively warm so it drizzles but not hot enough to melt your icing.

**if you are wanting to pipe ganache onto a cake, you'll need it a little cool so that it keeps it's shape.

**ganache can be made ahead and stored covered in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.




No comments:

Post a Comment